Everyone loves a good scare on Halloween, but not when it comes to kids’ safety. The City of Kamloops and Kamloops Fire Rescue want all the little ghosts and goblins to have fun this Halloween.
Follow these simple tips to ensure your trick-or-treaters stay safe:
- Stay visible – bring flashlights, glow sticks, and reflective goodie bags, and add reflective tape to costumes.
- Stay on the sidewalk and off the road when going house-to-house. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic and as far to the side as possible.
- Cross at street corners, traffic signals, or well-lit, marked crosswalks. Never cross the road between parked cars.
- Don’t assume the right-of-way. Motorists may have trouble seeing trick-or-treaters.
- Children under 12 should trick-or-treat with an adult and should never cross streets alone.
- Use non-flammable materials when making costumes. Don’t use spray-on glues or hairsprays to keep decorations on,
Motorists are also reminded to use extra caution on Halloween night, especially in residential neighbourhoods.