British Columbia News
Station locations finalized for future Broadway Subway project
Wednesday, September 18, 2019 9:30 AM
Six new underground stations will connect communities and neighbourhoods to make it easier and more affordable to live, work, shop and access services along Broadway, when the extension of the Millennium Line is completed.
The station entrance locations were based on technical analysis and input from project partners. They are:
- Great Northern Way – on the east side of Thornton Street, just north of Great Northern Way. This station creates better access to Emily Carr University of Art and Design’s Great Northern Way Campus and the emerging creative economy hub in the False Creek Flats.
- Mount Pleasant – at the southwest corner of Broadway and Main Street, for connectivity to the growing business and residential community in Mount Pleasant.
- Broadway–City Hall – will use the existing entrance to the Canada Line at the southeast corner of Broadway and Cambie Street to ensure a convenient underground connection between the Millennium and Canada lines.
- Fairview–VGH – on the southwest corner of Broadway and Laurel Street, near Oak Street. This location will provide better access to Vancouver General Hospital and the rest of the medical district.
- South Granville – on the northeast corner of Broadway and Granville Street near the South Granville, Burrard Slopes and Granville Island neighbourhoods.
- Arbutus – at the northeast corner of Broadway and Arbutus Street. This station and bus loop will connect passengers destined for the University of British Columbia (UBC), with B-Line bus service between Arbutus and UBC. It will connect with the Arbutus Greenway.
The interim station names were chosen for wayfinding purposes and are not considered final at this time.
A detailed map showing station entrances, as well as nearby properties that will be used as construction storage and staging areas, is available: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/broadwaysubway/stations/
Once completed, all stations will be accessible by bus, walking and cycling. More information will be shared about station design and construction once the contractor, which will design and build the project, has been selected in mid-2020.
- The Broadway Subway project is a 5.7-kilometre extension of the Millennium Line from VCC–Clark Station to Broadway and Arbutus.
- It will provide fast, frequent and convenient service to B.C.’s second-largest job centre, seamlessly connecting to the current SkyTrain network and integrating with the regional bus network.
- Construction is scheduled to start in 2020, with the line going into service in 2025.
To learn more about the project, visit: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/broadwaysubway/
To find out more about employment and apprenticeship opportunities through the Community Benefits Agreement, contact BC Infrastructure Benefits: https://www.bcib.ca/