British Columbia News
Highway 99 delays and closures during the Ironman triathlon
Thursday, July 25, 2019 7:00 AM
The Whistler Ironman race will take place on Sunday, July 28, 2019, along the Sea to Sky Highway.
To ensure safety, the following traffic pattern changes and closures will be in effect from approximately 6:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. for Highway 99:
- northbound from Garibaldi Road to Village Gate Boulevard – closed from 11:45 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- southbound from Nancy Green Drive to Village Gate Boulevard – closed from 6:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- southbound from Village Gate Boulevard to Garibaldi Road – closed from 6:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- both directions between Nancy Greene Drive and Alpine Way – single lane alternating traffic from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In addition, there will be no vehicle access to Highway 99 from the west side of Highway 99 between Garibaldi Road and Alpine Way from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Motorists are advised to:
- plan their trip well in advance in order to travel before and after closure times;
- allow for plenty of extra time and use alternative routes where possible; and
- exercise caution, watch for traffic control personnel and follow all signs.
The ministry appreciates the patience of travellers during this event.
For the most up-to-date highway travel information, people should continue to check @DriveBC on Twitter or visit: DriveBC.ca